Providing services for victims of

General Crime

208 East Colvin Ave, Suite 2
Warren, MN 56762

Office Hours: 8 am to 4:30 pm

(or by appointment after regular office hours on or off site)

218-745-5523 or 1-866-977-4357

Office located in the rear of the Law Library next to the Court Administrator's Office (2nd level).


The mission of Marshall County Victim Services is to support and advocate for those affected by violence and abuse, educate the public and work with the community and associated systems towards positive societal and system change.

Definition of CRIME VICTIM: A person who has suffered physical, sexual, financial, or emotional harm as a result of the commission of a crime.


Complaint Policy

Complaint Form



Crime Victims Rights


Court Process

Important Numbers



Services Provided

24-hour toll-free crisis line: Call 1-866-977-4357 or 218-745-5523

All Services are free of charge and all contacts are confidential

Legal Advocacy - Assistance in filing for an order for protection (OFP) or harassment restraining order (HRO), accompaniment to law enforcement, court hearings, or attorney appointments

Provide information and referrals to area service providers

Accompaniment/transportation to appointments

Referrals for temporary emergency housing and transportation to safety

Crisis counseling

Assistance with safety planning

Accompaniment to medical appointments and emergency medical examination

A safe, confidential place to share experiences and receive support and understanding

Court Related Services

Advise victim/witness of rights

Information regarding the criminal justice system

Provide briefing on courtroom procedures and hearing process

Provide notification of hearing dates, times, location and any changes in court schedules

Notify the victim of plea offers, plea agreements and sentencing hearings

Assist victim/witness in preparing to be a witness

Assistance in filing for reparations/restitution

Assistance with victim impact statements

Accompany victim/witness to court hearings and trial

Assistance in obtaining the release of property held as evidence

Community & Professional Education

Marshall County Victim Services can provide presentations and professional in-service training to: Civic Organizations, Fraternal Organizations, Professionals, and Prevention Programs for School Children, Church Groups


Minnesota law provides crime victims with specific rights. These rights apply to all cases, including juvenile cases. Minnesota has a comprehensive Victims' Right Act located in Chapter 611A of Minnesota Statutes. This statute can be located in the county law library, and you can also view this statute on-lne.


Marshall County Victims Services Crisis Line: 218-745-5523 or 866-977-4357

Marshall County Attorney's Office: 218-745-4321

Marshall County Court information: 218-745-4921

Marshall County Sheriff's dept (non-emergency): 218-745-5411

Marshall County Jail: 218-745-5411

Marshall County Social Services: 218-745-5124

North Valley Health Center: 218-734-4211


MN Domestic Violence Crisis Line: 866-233-111 (one call for emergency shelter) www.dayoneservices.org

National Domestic Abuse Hotline: 800-799-SAFE(7233) or 800-787-3224 (TTY)

Crime Victim Justice Unit: 651-205-4823 or 800-247-0390

Legal Services of Northwest Minnesota: 800-450-8585



Apperance Type
May Victim Attend

Initial (Rule 5) or arraignment

Right given, bail set

Within 48 hours of arrest


First (Rule 8)

With attorney, omnibus hrg. set

3-10 days after initial appearance



Constitutional issues raised, probable cause determined

Proir to pre-trial hearings


Attorney/victim/or witness conference

Discuss possible plea negotiation

Proir to pre-trials or trials



Either enter guilty or not guilty

At omnibus or pre-trial hearings




After not guilty plea


PSI (Pre-Sentence Investigation) gross misdemeanor/felony cases

Report by probation and given to Judge

After guilty plea or verdict



After guilty verdict or plea

2-5 weeks after plea or verdict


Court Process for misdemeanor charges:

The defendant is formally notified of the charges filed, advised of his/her rights, bail is set at the arraignment. If the defendant cannot afford an attorney, a public defender is appointed by the court to represent the defendant. The defendant also enters a plea at the time of arraignment. If the defendant pleads guilty, he/she will proceed directly to sentencing.

At the pre-trial hearing the case ID formally set for trial on a specific date. Often a plea agreement is offered and discussed at this time. The defendant may plead guilty and proceed to sentencing.

Trial is where both the prosecutor and the defense attorney are put to the test of presenting their case before a judge or jury. The judge or jury will then review the evidence they have heard and make a decision of guilty or not guilty. The prosecutor must prove the defendant guilty beyond a reasonable doubt.

If the defendant pleads guilty or is found guilty following a trial, a judge will impose a sentence at the sentencing hearing. Unlike sentencing for gross misdemeanor/felony charges, a pre-sentence investigation is not automatically ordered. However, one may be requested in certain instances.


How can I get specific information about the case?

Call your local law enforcement agency, prosecutor's office, or victim service provider for information.

What if I need financial assistance?

You could be eligible for reparations from the state of Minnesota if you are victim of a violent crime and have out-of-pocket costs related to medical, counseling, a funeral or wage loss. You could be eligible for restitution from the defendant if he/she is found guilty or enters a guilty plea.

What should I do if I receive a subpoena or am called to testify?

A subpoena is a court order to appear in court. Read it very carefully. It will have instructions on who you should call for court information and location. However, if you have a scheduling conflict or have any questions, you should call whoever sent the subpoena. As a witness, you will receive a small fee for your time and mileage.

Do these rights apply when the offender is a juvenile?


How will I know when the offender gets out of jail or prison?

To be informed about an offender's release from jail or prison, you must make a special request to be notified. Contact VINE or talk to a local victim service provider for more information.

Can I attend all the hearings?

Yes, in general, criminal court proceedings involving adult defendants are open to the public. A judge may close a hearing or exclude a party under certain cercumstances.