Map of Marshall County

Marshall County covers 1,675 square miles and is situated in the northwestern part of Minnesota bordering on the Red River of the North.   The County was named in honor of William Rainey Marshall, one of Minnesota's esteemed governors. (more on William R. Marshall can be found at www.mnhs.org/people/governors/gov/gov_07.htm .   The county seat is Warren.  

As of the Census in 2000 the population of Marshall County is 2000 is 10,155.   Marshall County is made up of the towns of:

  • Oslo
  • Alvarado
  • Stephen
  • Argyle
  • Warren
  • Strandquist
  • Viking
  • Newfolden
  • Middle River
  • Holt
  • Grygla

 

There are 4 School Districts located in Marshall County:

  • Warren/Alvarado/Oslo School District #2176 located in Warren
  • Stephen/Argyle Central School District #2856 located in Stephen & Argyle
  • Marshall County Central School District #441 located in Newfolden
  • Grygla School District #447 located in Grygla
Marshall County Demographic Information

County & City Populations

County

1970

1980

1990

1995

2000

2010

Marshall

13,060

13,027

10,993

10,733

10,155

9,439

City

1970

1980

1990

1995

2000

2010

Alvarado

302

385

365

356

371

363

Argyle

739

741

619

624

656

639

Grygla

211

216

220

223

228

221

Middle River

369

349

117

283

319

303

Newfolden

390

384

335

339

362

368

Oslo

417

379

386

361

347

330

Stephen

904

898

700

693

708

658

Strandquist

138

136

96

89

88

69

Viking

274

129

87

94

92

104

Warren

1,999

2,105

1,804

1,789

1,678

1563

The County Courthouse is a beautiful and historic building.   The first Marshall County Courthouse was a one-room building was built in 1879.   Three hundred dollars covered the cost for materials and labor.

The county board resolved to move the county seat from Warren to Argyle in April 1881.   By February 1882, the county officers returned to Warren.   The board resolved to appropriate not over $5,000 to erect and furnish a courthouse.   To use the first small courthouse they moved it to the rear of the new courthouse and in 1886 improvements were done for use as the county jail.

In 1889 and again 1894 additions were made; however, by 1899 the jail had been condemned and the board agreed that the county records were not adequately protected.  

Marshall County Courthouse

A yellow-bricked two story Romanesque Revival structure was built in 1900.   A tall tower was placed in the center of the façade as the courthouse's main feature.   In 1909 a large addition was added to the courthouse onto the west side.   The current Marshall County Law Enforcement Center was built and joined to the courthouse on the east end in 1974.

For more info on Marshall County History visit:

http://www.visitnwminnesota.com/Marshallhistory.htm

For pictures of the Marshall County Courthouse check out the Gallery.